What is Landlord's Home Emergency Cover?

Landlord's Home Emergency Cover
If something crucial like a boiler breakdown or a burst pipe occurs at your rental property, you will want to get it fixed as quickly as possible to limit the damage to the house and the impact on the tenants.
Landlord home emergency cover means you will have access to a 24/7 helpline which will call an approved contractor at any time of day and night to fix the problem as soon as possible.
Home Emergency is optional cover you can add to your Landlord Buildings and/or Contents policy to protect your property and your tenants against the loss of essential services.
What does it cover?
This will depend on the individual policy and how much you want to pay but a home emergency policy will typically cover:
  • Boiler breakdown
  • Plumbing issues like burst water pipes
  • Central heating failure
  • Loss of hot wate
  • Electrical failure
  • Security issues (especially broken windows and doors)
  • Roof damage
  • Drainage trouble
  • Vermin/ pest infestation
  • Lost keys
  • It can also cover the cost of alternative accommodation for your tenants while the problem gets fixed.
    What doesn’t it cover?
    All policies are different so always ensure you read the small print. Most policies, however, don’t cover boilers which are more than 15 years old and emergencies which occur within 48 hours of taking out the policy or claims which arise due to neglect or lack of maintenance.
    Policies won’t cover you for event that aren’t deemed as emergencies – so if it’s not going to cause damage to your property or significant discomfort or distress to your tenants, it won’t be classed as an emergency.
Looking to compare? Click here to start saving.